Rescuers in southern Turkey say voices are still being hear under the rubble more than a week. After the devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake, raising hopes that more survivors will be find.
Images broadcast live by AZ24 News affiliate AZ24 News Turk show rescuers working in two areas of the Kahramanmaras. Region trying to rescue three sisters believe to be burie under the rubble.
In the same area, rescuers pull an 18-year-old boy. A man alive from the rubble on Tuesday – a day after rescuing a 10-year-old girl who had been buri for 185 hours.
More than 36,000 People have been Confirm Dead
Eight days after the earthquake and severe aftershocks. More than 36,000 people have been confirm dead, and stories of survival are becoming rare.
Martin Griffiths, the head of the UN aid agency. Said during a visit to the northern Syrian city of Aleppo on Monday. That the rescue phase of the response was “coming to an end”.
“And now, in the humanitarian phase, it is imperative. That we provide these people with shelter. Psychosocial care, food, schools and a sense of the future, This is our duty now,” he said.
Turkey rescuers say; After announcing the end of its search and rescue operations last week. The White Helmets group, formally known as the Syrian Civil Defense. On Monday declared seven days of mourning in rebel-held areas in the north of the country.
International aid has been slow to reach rebel-held parts of Syria. Complicated by years of conflict and a pre-existing humanitarian crisis. That has compounded the plight of survivors who lack food, shelter and medicine.
On Monday, the United Nations welcomed Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s decision to open two more border crossings between Turkey Syria to allow aid to reach the north of the country.
Meanwhile, Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay denied reports of food and aid shortages on Tuesday. “There was no problem feeding the population” and “millions of blankets are being sent to all regions,” he said on live television.
According to the Turkish Foreign Ministry, more than 9,200 foreign workers have participated in the country’s search and rescue efforts, and 100 countries have provided assistance so far.